Friday, May 17, 2019

Look at These Fish

It pains me to see the onesightedness of many fly fisherman, and I feel obligated to every now and then voice my opposition to this. It has gotten better, I think. But there are still so many anglers that cling to a type of fish to the exclusion and sometimes destruction of others.

Trout aren't everything.

If I had a dime for every time someone said "show me a more beautiful fish..." in reference to a specific species, I'd be drowning in dimes. I believe this attitude is destructive for both the sport and conservation. When it comes to native species, valuing one over another is dangerous. And when it comes to non-native species, valuing one of them over a native species is even more dangerous.

My continued frequent featuring of a wide range of native and non-native fish species is an attempt to combat this. Fish are beautiful. Fish are amazing. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't photograph fish to say "look at me!", I photograph fish to say "look at these fish!".

So... look at these fish!















There is no such thing as a trash fish. Period.

10 comments:

  1. Right, you are! Thanks for sharing the variety and beauty you know so well. And knowing how careful you are in returning so many unharmed after bringing the fish to hand...that underscores your respect for these wild creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully agree - and those are amazing. Odd question... Do you have Musky or tiger musky on your list? I dont remember a post on musky, and that would be awesome - a "musky slam" so to speak :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the closest I've come: https://flyfishingcts.blogspot.com/2018/06/lake-champlain-region-on-fly-muskellunge.html

      Delete
  3. Definitely no trash fish. Interesting to see some species similar to ours in the British Isles. bRITIH iSLESritsh nativs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Our golden shiners are dead ringers for your dace and rudd, and our fallfish are dead ringers for you chubs.

      Delete
  4. Well said Rowan! If it lives, it's Precious.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my attitude towards destructive non-natives differs.

      Delete
  5. Nice array of fish, RM. I appreciate all of them.

    ReplyDelete