Friday, May 3, 2019

Spring Swing

If you enjoy what I'm doing here, please share and comment. It is increasingly difficult to maintain this blog under dwindling readership. What best keeps me going so is knowing that I am engaging people and getting them interested in different aspects of fly fishing, the natural world, and art. Follow, like on Facebook, share wherever, comment wherever. Also, consider supporting me on Patreon (link at the top of the bar to the right of your screen, on web version). Every little bit is appreciated! Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, john, and Christopher, for supporting this blog.

It rained something like 22 days in April in CT. That's crazy. Last year was crazy wet too here in the Northeast, and this is about what we can expect. Warming atmosphere = more evaporation = more rain in places that have always been wet and less rain in places that have always been more arid. Unfortunately this has caused me to have the worst early herring run in the last four years. I haven't been able to get to the places I normally fish because there's been 5 feet of water where there's normally two. That has been insanely frustrating. My home water has had it's hatches, notably the paraleps and hendricksons, either pushed back very late, or they've come off when the water was too high for a good rise. That too, insanely frustrating.
About the only fishing advantage of the perpetual high water on my local rivers has been that it's made the biggest good practice for my short spey rod. When the water's up, I like to pretend it's an actual salmon or steelhead river, and it doesn't look entirely like one. I fish Blue Charms, Sugarman Shrimp, Buck Bugs, Intruders, and other traditional and modern salmon and steelhead flies. And they do catch fish, though I'm not there to catch fish. I'm there to fix my rhythms so that when I do get to fish a stream with wild salmon or steelhead, I won't be unprepared. Frankly, I pretty much skate every fish I hook right in without struggle. That's just what a 11' 6" 8wt does to small hatchery trout. But the takes are still fun.




There are some stretches of water in the area that are pretty well untraveled. Deep in the valleys you can't here road noise. There aren't any houses in sight. And in some cases, seeing any hikers or other anglers is a surprise. Some of the time the best fishing is in these stretches, sometimes it isn't. On my biggest river close to home, the most remote stretch isn't the best trout fishing, but it is the best smallmouth and sucker fishing. Swinging flies, I didn't expect to come across any white sucker, but I did have a bass on briefly. As the water drops and warms even more, that bite will only get better.




At the end of the day, I hadn't caught anything particularly interesting, but I had developed a better rhythm, had vastly improved my Skandi style cast, and improved casting with my off hand on top. I've found it quite easy to be ambidextrous with two hand casting. I'm working on that with single handed casting too but it isn't easy. It's like re-learning to cast again, and it basically is. I have no muscle memory for a casting stroke in my left arm and no hauling muscle memory in my right.  I'll get there eventually.

5 comments:

  1. Training for what will happen is essential. Nothing like a good workout.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your blog very much.
    My hats off to you for fly fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fine day out fishing RM. If there are fish to be caught you will find them. I always enjoy reading about your adventures on the water. Best, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to two hand last year on a 10 wgt for salt. And when my elbow bothered me I've even two handed a 6 wgt on the stream!
    The interesting thing--I'm a left hander, but I've found I prefer to two hand with my right hand on top. I think this is probably due to ice hockey. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of your pictures for this post look similar to the river here... high swift water. I have no doubt you'll master being ambidextrous.

    ReplyDelete