Saturday, January 8, 2022

Blackwater Brook Trout

" tan·nin

noun

a yellowish or brownish bitter-tasting organic substance present in some galls, barks, and other plant tissues, consisting of derivatives of gallic acid, used in leather production and ink manufacture."

-Oxford Languages

Certain geology and plant life results in tannic or blackwater streams. Generally these environments are characterized by gentler topography, wet low lying areas, and organic matter collecting and decomposing slowly both on the forest floor and in swamps. The tannins that originate from the decomposing bark, leaves, and wood leach into the low gradient streams that flow through these places and give them a tea-like coloration and low pH. These rivers harbor different organism communities than clear or whitewater streams. Not every macroinvertebrate or fish can survive or reproduce in tannic, acidic waters. Brook trout can, though. In fact, they do very well in it.


Tannic water fish are as dark as the waters they live in. Blackwater brook trout are often so dark they look like a different animal. I've always liked how brook trout that come from blackwater streams look, but most of the streams I fish aren't especially tannic. A few are a bit tea stained and produce lovely dark fish, but sometimes I'm in the mood to catch a dark knight brook trout- a brook trout that is nearly black. When that happens I go east, where pine barrens habitat in Southeaster Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Eastern Connecticut create blackwater rivers and where some brook trout do still survive in pockets of undeveloped land. 

I visited one such habitat on a mild mid December afternoon, a stream that had long been on my list of places to visit. I'd first heard about the stream from Alan Petrucci four years ago. In the time between that he very kindly sent me a painting of a brook trout caught from this very stream, and it felt odd to own a painting of a brook trout from a stream less than an hour away that I'd never been to. It was about time for a visit.


I know of two of these old green fishing access signs on different waters. The other says "State Leased Access."


Initially the fishing was a struggle. I fished my way down from where I parked and caught nothing. I didn't so much as spook a char either. Disappointed, I eventually had to turn around as I could go no further without waders. I decided to continue past the road crossing I parked at though and came to a wonderful looking glide. A fish waked out of the tailout as I approached it- disappointing since that fish was clearly spooked, but also promising being that it was the first evidence of a brookie I'd seen this day. 

I got myself into casting position and began to cast my Edson Tiger up the glide and strip it downstream just faster than the current. Finally I was rewarded as a wake came up behind the fly, punctuated by an explosion at the surface. I'd connected with a black brook trout, and what an impressive and gorgeous little monster he was. 



I proceeded with the new-found excitement of an angler that found what they were looking for after loosing hope. The forest changed and a "laurel hell" engulfed the stream. While within it, I didn't have the patience to fish with the cautious precision necessary to pull a brook trout through the snarl, and that resulted in spooking one of the most impressive fish I'd seen all year, a male of about a pound. 


Leaving the tangled brush, I reminded myself to slow down and take note of what was going on before rushing into things. I found another long flat glide and this one had a riser in it. I tried initially with the Ausable Bomber but that seemed to put the fish down. A Zub Bug sealed the deal and I was soon holding the female counterpart to the male I'd caught earlier. 


I'm not sure why I gravitate to blackwater fish the way I do, but something about them is very appealing. It isn't just these absurdly dark brook trout either. I've become very interested in blackwater streams in the American South and the species they harbor, be they mud sunfish, blue spotted sunfish, pirate perch, or any of the other unique species. I've had experience on blackwater streams in Florida already. Catching bigmouth sleeper, redear sunfish, fat snook, and mangrove snapper side by side in a meandering dark creek was a thrilling experience. Of course there's also my long standing love of redfin pickerel, a famously blackwater loving species. 

Perhaps it's the quality of the water itself and my inability to see into it easily. It's a primordial place where magical creatures live hidden from view. When the surface is broken by one of those creatures coming up to eat a fly it feels like I'm being privileged with an opportunity to see something I'm not supposed to. I think that drives quite a lot of my fishing. 

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, Streamer Swinger, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version.

Edited by Cheyenne Terrien

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic fish! I treasure a few CT streams that yield such dark brookies out of water the color of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawn! They are unique places for sure.

      Delete
  2. Great read. Those dark brook trout are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowan I saw that sign years ago. I would have thought the tree would have swallowed it up by now. That laurel run can be a hot spot with dry flies come May and June.

    ReplyDelete