Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Kayak Afternoon

Dalton and I hit Moodus hard today, and managed to eek out some decent fishing. The kayak got it's first use of the season. I, of course using flies, caught something like six bluegills before tying on a bigger popper and beginning to catch bass and pickerel that were rather bellow average in size. Dalton, using a buzz bait, did similarly. I eventually changed to an articulated streamer and caught similarly sized fish. At the end of the day I was twitching this fly of the end of the boat launch when a BIG pickerel came out and literally ripped it off my 6 lb tippet. I retied thinking a bad knot was to blame and, surprise surprise the same fish came out, my fly still stuck in his face.... and bit my other fly off. So if anyone catches a pickerel with big articulated streamers on each side of his face, please remove them and shoot me an email, I'd really like them back!








Hawk being bombarded by ravens and starlings. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice trip! A bunch of good fish and those toothy ghosts can slice a line in a snap. Try a heavy short leader on your tip and they might not slice it before you bring them to hand.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      When I am targeting big pickerel I usually use stronger than 20 lb test, but this guy was a heck of a surprise! I've only ever caught smaller pickerel out of this reservoir.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure that pickerel will be waiting for you next time! Hopefully you will be more prepared for him.

    ReplyDelete