Saturday, May 30, 2015

Late Afternoon with Scotty's McFly

A while ago I watched an episode of "The New Fly Fisher" in Ontario where Bill Spicer was slammin' big smallmouth with a pattern called Scotty's McFly. Today I was rather surprised when, as we were headed to the pond for an evening on his canoe, fellow warm water fly fisher Mark Steiner mentioned the fly and gave me a pair. Where did he here about the fly? The episode of "The New Fly Fisher". Mark had actually called the guy and bought some. He had tried them without success. Tonight their worth was proven. First, and a stunning pumpinseed bluegills on poppers. Then I tied on the McFly and crappies pounced all over it! I love crappies. The water is very clear on the pond we were fishing, and we could watch the fish whip out and inhale the fly. Most were dock hiders. I have never had that much luck throwing flies under docks for crappie. Fish also caught today were a nice pickerel and a tiny bass. Next time we'll get some big bass.




6 comments:

  1. Love that sunfish.....such colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RM
    That has got to be the largest sunfish I have seen. I am curious to see the McFly. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fun. Did you figure out how to tie that fly? Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      It's a very simple fly, just not one I had bothered to try ever.

      Delete