Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day Trout

Today was just one of those days that was just my day. That's a lot of 'days' in one sentence. Anyway, today I headed to the Salmon expecting to see crowds and fish that were just not feeding. That is not what I saw. The river I came upon this afternoon, although low, was one that allowed for the perfect sight fishing for nice trout. Instead of the heavy gear and articulated streamers, I was rigged with the 3 weight, 6x, and soft hackles. Soft Hackle PT's, Green Squirrel and Partridge Caddis, And Sulfur Emergers just kicked butt. In total I caught 37. I had plenty of missed takes and premature releases as well. Most prevalent were rainbows, the bigger of which put up some fantastic fights. They acted like mini steelhead, doing big runs and spectacular jumps. It was just gorgeous.

I hope everybody made time today to remember those who fell fighting for our freedom.









7 comments:

  1. Glad things fell in line for you today and with your angling skills it certainly showed. The first rainbow out of the water has a huge tail...he must've been a fighter! Also, the river was looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them were! Bows are usually great for a little battle.

      Delete
  2. RM
    Landing all those trout on soft hackles had to fun, and that number on the 3 weight had to be quite a challenge. I never like to over kill when I am trout fishing, in other words use rods that are too heavy for the trout I am pursuing. What length fly rod were you using, my main fly rod on our tailrace is a 9 ft. 3 wt.----Congrats on a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I was using my small stream 6' 6". If the water was warmer I wouldn't dare go so light though.

      Delete
  3. You had a great day,37, WOW. It's wonderful to have the fredom to do what we love, thanks to those who served our country well. The water looks sooooo good.
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,
      The water is good, low, but good.

      Delete