Monday, November 20, 2017

Way Out


The fall run is winding down in Long Island Sound. It isn't done yet, and won't be until the first week or two of December probably, but most of the big migratory fish are gone. Those of us who were bit by the striper bug and just can't go a week without hooking at least a little one, well, we aren't done yet. Further and further from home we go to put ourselves in the thick of it. By December some of us will be driving through the armpit of America to get to the fabled blitzes of New Jersey, but for now we still have some fish close to home and not all of them are small.


On Saturday Alec and I went out in near perfect pre-frontal conditions, the kind of weather that just get big stripers on the feed, and we were going to an area I had not yet explored. In the sound there are a lot of places where gravel bars, sand bars, or rock reefs extend far out into open water and make it possible to wade long distances from the beach. These places are consistently dangerous, but also extremely productive at the right times, so those of us smart enough to follow the tides and understand how the work will fish these places with minimal risk involved. But for those who aren't experienced in fishing "way out"... don't do it. Getting stranded by the tide is not good. It could just be inconvenient, but it could also be the end of you.


This time of year a lot of birds are migrating and some make stops in Long Island Sound, many winter over here too. Today we were fortunate enough to be using the same stretch of shore as long-tailed ducks and white-winged scoter, two ducks I had never seen before. That's not to mention all the gulls and terns, of which there were hundreds.



The first few hours on the water were frustrating, with little action in close and blitzing fish staying painfully distant, despite taunting us a few times by working gradually closer. But with the tide falling rapidly, white bait washed over the bar and became easy targets for both birds and fish. The approaching weather system, warming air, and strong southwesterly wind set the stage, and as with countless other late fall days here on the CT shoreline the play of life and death was acted out within fly casting range. The fish were mostly small, as has frustrated me all year, but you take what you are given. Chances were given, I had a 15-18 pound striper swipe and miss in the boulders where I'd expetect the big guys to live, but all 20 of the fish I caught we shy of 20 inches.







The most bizarre thing happened at the while I was landing one of the many aggressive little school bass. I got it withing close range, last 15 seconds of the fight, and Alec and I both watched it cough up something colorful. I immediately waded out and grabbed the object. It was a bag of peanuts, minus the peanuts. I've found some odd things in the mouths and stomachs of fish, but this one takes the prize. Please, I can't believe anyone still has to say this, DON'T LITTER!



As the sun set I went to the windward side of the reef, and found that the fish on that side had come right into the wash and were feeding in less than a foot of water. I waded out a short distance to cast parallel, and caught fish after fish on my white Hollow Fleye. It's easy to ignore the brutality of the conditions, and how soaking wet you are, when it feels like you could hook a 20 pound striper on any cast. Though I do get frustrated I am eternally optimistic. Even now, sitting at home, I can imagine the fish I'm looking for. Big broom tail, cavernous mouth, deep bodied and iridescent... she has been around longer than me and has seen more sights than I ever will, but all she knows is that she needs survive, keep going, keep eating.. And that's just what I let her do. Soon. The clock is ticking.




12 comments:

  1. Great reading and photos! Those feeding birds can sure get in the way of throwing a fly. People just don't understand the word "litter" or the consequences.
    If you caught that big one now, you won't have that to look forward to.
    Great post!
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That works on the assumption that I would consider one big striper enough... I do not. I will always be looking forward to the next big one.

      Delete
  2. Love that first photo. Now that's November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan,
      There's something really beautiful about a grey late fall day.

      Delete
  3. My season always ends up weeks shorter for some reason. I guess because I am fishing 30 miles farther west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was further west than you realize.
      ;)

      Delete
  4. Haha I knew something looked familoar about those smokestacks. That's Northport L.I. over there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you fishing my home water buddy, a new Reef Rat is born. I could spend hours talking about that place with you and probably will. You picked up on the parallel casting thing pretty quick, you are wise young Jedi master. :-) Look forward to fishing The Reef with you soon. My wife and I were married at the pavilion on the beach just down from the rock jetty in ‘95. Enjoy that place, it’s been very good to me for the past 40 plus years and like you said be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure for you that place holds about as many memories as it does striped bass!

      Delete
  6. excellent spot- really good for blues in June when sand eels are present.
    you can launch a yak there too if you are willing to carry down the right of way.
    park at the local park and walk to beach during summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hike my kayak a LONG way just for pond bass and pickerel so that would be easy peasy!

      Delete
    2. Regarding yaking there- you can drive your yak to the right of way, walk it down to the beach and leave it there. park at the town park and walk back. the little jetty makes launching easy. if you have a yak carrier- park and just walk to beach from your vehicle.
      you have access to great water on both sides of the reef. normally pretty calm water and you will see birds working over fish.
      sadly, i dont get down there much anymore living 75 miles away and dealing with the fairfield county traffic.
      off season, you can usually park on the road but you already know that.
      excellent post. brought back great memories of super fishing.

      Delete