Tuesday, December 15, 2015

A Panfish Trifecta and Ditch Sunnies

Another strange December day. I fished the same mill pond that has been producing fish lately. I tied on a white sea run brown trout streamer and ripped it along the bank with quick short strips. That produced a crappie and a yellow perch. I haven't caught yellow perch out of this pond before, only small white perch. The crappie, though small, was tremendously beautiful.



After the streamer stopped getting hits I tied on a soft hackle. That produced a number of redbreast sunfish and a really small crappie. Small fish are very often gorgeous animals, and this micro crappie was no exception


I decided for no particular reason to try this, well, ditch drainage on the way home. I've caught some pretty surprising things out of storm drains and ditches, and this one happened to be loaded with sunfish.

4 comments:

  1. Mill ponds and drainage ditches, you can catch fish if the water is there. These creatures are amazing. Nice trip!
    Tie, fish, write and photo on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I've always wanted to try for the small species that live in tidal pools. If there's water and fish, I'll be there at some point with fly rod in hand!

      Delete
  2. I do believe you could catch a fish in our driveway puddles. :)

    ReplyDelete