Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Farmington River Cleanup & A Gift From a Friend

 Last weekend I took part in the Farmington River cleanup organized in large part by the Farmington River Anglers Association. It was a fantastic event with a big turnout and some serious effort put in by all involved, and something I hope to see continue for years to come! Rich Strolis and others ran the event very smoothly and an impressive amount of trash was removed from the river. I took part as a team member from Native Fish Coalition along with board members Michael Day, Josh Parsons and John Wadsworth. We felt pretty good about our four bags of garbage and a few larger items, but some teams brought out such impressive treasures as a recliner, baby doll, bubble gum machine, and entire rear axle! 




Sometimes I have a pretty strong dislike for the "fishing community" in general, and all the in-fighting, controversy, and what not that takes place. But sometimes there are indeed good things that come out of it. 

Speaking of, one of my favorite people recently sent me a wonderful gift out of the blue. Since Covid has prevented me from seeing a lot of my friends, this lovely painting and wet fly from Alan Petrucci (Small Stream Reflections) was a wonderful surprise. 


Though Alan and I haven't gotten to fish together in a long while, I'm sure we'll end up on the same brook trout stream at the same time soon. 

3 comments:

  1. What a great sounding event! Is Alan a painter? I knew his "art" skills were unreal via photography and the flies he shares on his blog, but didnt realize he painted. Talent!

    Glad you all got to clean up the river - good thing to do.
    Will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original painting was done by someone else.

      Delete
  2. Good turnout for the cleanup. That's a tuff job, but worth the effort.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete