Saturday, April 10, 2021

High And Dirty Multispecies Nymphing

 One day this March, I bounced spot to spot on my way home from Rhode Island. I was mostly hitting new streams and looking for wild trout, but I was having a pretty tough day. I got some stocked trout at one spot, and a couple brookies in one stream I'd fished once before, but it was a struggle to get anything substantial. Then it started raining and I headed to what would be my final stop of the day. It was an upriver portion of a stream I fish a lot, but a part of it I'd never once made a cast in. Before Neil Hagstrom retired from DEEP he had recommended it to me, saying it had a good number of wild browns. 

The day had started out cloudy but by the time I got to this stream it was raining and had been for a little while. The water was severely discolored; I was going to try anyway. I tied on a heavy size 10 Ausable Ugly and began to fish. For a while, I was unsuccessful. Then I thought I had a grab but wasn't quite sure. It definitely felt like one. A few runs down I caught a fish, a wild brown. That bolstered my confidence massively. I suddenly felt this might become a productive evening. 


That fish was right along a seam where the main current of the stream met some chocolate milk colored water coming out of a drain. This is classic brown trout behavior during this sort of storm runoff. Mud lines are a key focus to a lot of my rainy day river fishing, regardless of species. Brown trout in particular though gravitate to them. As I continued downriver and the muddy water from the pipe mixed with the ever muddier water of the stream (it was still raining), it began to look un-fishable. But I don't shy away from stained water as easily as some anglers might. I was fully ready to keep fishing knowing I could well get some high caliber fish in conditions like this. 



It took a little while to get another, but that ended up being a decent fallfish. I then proceeded to catch 8 more fallfish and a brown out of the same seam before continuing downstream. I got a couple more fallfish downriver but didn't find another spot at all that productive so I hit it again on the way back up and got two more fallfish and a large white sucker. 






Those fish alone made it a pretty good bite. That whole pile of fish was stacked up towards the tailout of a very nice, defined bend run. They were in a slack behind a log. It was a classic setup. But to sweeten the pot even more, when I got back to the first spot I'd fished when I had arrived, I got a very hot 14 inch brown there. This fish was gorgeous and spent an awful lot of the fight airborne. 


This was the perfect example of a day that could have ended up being very unproductive, but wasn't entirely because it started to rain. I got soaked, smelled musty for the rest of the evening, and definitely wished I had put all of my electronics in a plastic bag, but it seemed like a pretty good use of my time. I never ignore nasty weather. 

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version. 

Edited by Cheyenne Terrien

6 comments:

  1. Good account of a productive outing. I enjoyed the read. I hope you keep up the reports for old fellas like me. Thank you, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to see the variety of your catches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked to fish in a light rain, very productive. Nice catches.
    Tie, fish, write, conserve and photo on...

    ReplyDelete