Thursday, July 15, 2021

Unexpected Brook Trout

 There's a particular muddy, murky, marshy creek that I've eyeballed for years. From the car it looked interesting, and every time I was in a vehicle driving over it my gaze would be locked onto the stream. In those quick glimpses I analysed its bends and structure... it looked like good fallfish water. But I was never the one driving, and never had the opportunity to stop. I'm ashamed to admit that despite having access to wheels for a while now, I still just drove on over without stopping. 

Then, one day a week ago, I passed it once again. This time I realized I could stop and fish it if I wanted to. And I did in fact want to. a few minutes later I was walking down the side of the road with my 5 weight in hand, thinking I knew exactly what I was about to do. Oh how wrong I was.


After about 15 minutes and one unimpressive pickerel, I was a bit thrown. When I caught the pickerel though I was shocked by how cold it was. Then dipping my fingers in the water I was further blown away. We were, at that point, in quite a heat wave. That water was only 60 degrees. It should have been no surprise- but it still was -when three minutes later I caught a gorgeous wild brook trout.

I was happy with that, and I left. I don't know if I'll be back there... my curiosity has been satisfied. Maybe it'll well up again, I'm not sure. I do know I'll drive over that stream many, many times more. Each time I'll remember that fish and smile.

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version. 

4 comments:

  1. That must have been spring feed to be that cool. Perfect catches to satisfy the wonder. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, who would have thought that water was 60 degrees during a heat wave? What a beautiful brook trout living in there! Great read and picture of an impressive brook trout!

    ReplyDelete