Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Striper Doldrums

 July is a pretty underwhelming month for finding stripers inshore in Connecticut. It is the doldrums. Sometimes I just want to commune with some of my striped friends though, and last week I did so. I was out dredging huge Clousers in inlets most of the night without success, and I slept in the 4Runner when I became too tired to carry on. Then, in the morning, with thick clouds and a north winds, I struggled to find fish on some rocky shoreline areas. Eventually I found one. He wasn't very big, but he made me smile. I really haven't been fishing for stripers that much since May, but I'll be jumping right into the grid again once July is over. 


Remember that, though they aren't as sensitive as trout, striped bass are more likely to be at risk of catch and release mortality when the water is warmer. So please fish responsibly during the heat of summer. 

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.

Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version. I truly would not be able to keep this going without you wonderful folks!

2 comments:

  1. A one fish to hand is welcomed on such days. Even a one fish that got away is welcomed as was the case today.

    ReplyDelete