Saturday, July 17, 2021

Geoff's Commons

 One day I had my good friend Geoff Klane (Brackish Flies) tag along with me to experience the mulberry chaos. I'd told him just how abundant the mirrors were in Rhode Island and how good the fishing had been. I fairly certain we had a pretty stellar bite ahead of us. Fish have a very interesting sense of humor though.


We cast at some tailers before we got to any berry trees and I did get one of them to eat. It was a perfect little mirror, precisely what I'd expected and how I'd expected. Even though Geoff's time was limited I was sure we'd get him his first mirror. At the first tree there were geese, and Geoff missed one take. That seemed to put the fish off. At the next, he got... a common. I'd caught more than a dozen carp in Rhode Island before I got the first common so that was a bit of a surprise. Even more surprising still, his second fish was also a common. 





Since commons aren't actually so common here, I thought Geoff's fish were pretty cool. Of course we both still really wanted a mirror, so it was really frustrating when the terrible hook I'd tied the berry fly he was fishing bent out on a good one. Reminder: even small carp will tow the nicest brown trout you've ever caught backwards for miles- don't use mediocre hooks.

Frustratingly, that was that. I'll definitely have Geoff back though and I'm sure he'll get his mirror.

Until next time, 

Fish for the love of fish.
Fish for the love of places fish live.
Fish for you.
And stay safe and healthy.


Thank you to my Patrons; Erin, David, John, Elizabeth, Brandon, Christopher, Shawn, Mike, Sara, Leo, C, Franky, Geof, Luke, and Noah for making Connecticut Fly Angler possible. If you want to support this blog, look for the Patreon link at the top of the right side-bar in web version.

No comments:

Post a Comment